Friday, December 17, 2010

Back to basics

Recently I received a request to provide some technical support.  Without knowing much, this was my message.
'______ just called and I’d be glad to help as much as I can.

I don’t know if you ever got this book; but if not, I’d recommend getting it.
Functional Behavioral Assessment, Diagnosis, and Treatment by Cipani and Schock
You can find it on line and wherever best books are sold :-)
If you have it, or when you get it. Study it closely and apply the information and tools.
I realize I am an unusual person in many ways; however, I found it fascinating…seriously.
Once you have the book and begin the read, the first thing you will be directed to do is to look at antecedents and other setting events. It may be that much of the issue can be solved there. After you have done that, you’ll want to do more of an assessment to look at reinforcements; however, not knowing the person but just hearing a little…
I understand that s/he is an adult who can do what you want him/her to do but just isn’t motivated.
That’s about all I know.
This raises a few questions.
1. Is it really something s/he HAS to do?
2. If yes, what are the reasons s/he has to do it?
3. Are there any times when s/he does it? If yes, what are the differences and “I don’t know” or “there aren’t any” is not an acceptable answer. There are ALWAYS differences. (I suggest you get a copy of and read: Becoming Solution-Focused in Brief Therapy by Walter and Peller, not exactly the same situation; but totally applicable and another fascinating read.)
4. If there are times when s/he does it, replicate those times, situations, antecedents, and reinforcements. This may rely most heavily on antecedents to include setting events.
5. Look at the reinforcement s/he gets for NOT doing it (whatever it is)
6. Look at potential reinforcements for doing it, if it is REALLY something s/he needs to do.
If you get stuck in the process let me know and I’d be glad to sit down with you.
(In the case of the reader, I'd be glad to discuss the situation through the comments.  Be sure and do not include any personally identifying information.)
Hope that helped.'




No comments: